Journey of Empowerment
The Journey of Empowerment is a powerful initiation into the core practices of Movement Medicine. During the course, we will work with practices to engage with body, heart, mind and psyche, and, through this process, forge a powerful connection to the wisdom of spirit and soul. We will work with a variety of tools to assist you on this path, including dance and movement, trance and repetition, embodiment practices, voice work and poetry. Together, we will consciously create a strong and sacred circle within which each individual will be encouraged to find empowerment in their own unique way.
Comprising one module and facilitated by Faculty members (Caroline Carey or Jo Hardy), the Journey is the first step of the intensive long-term curriculum offered by the School of Movement Medicine and the most direct route to completing the basic prerequisites for deeper work. You are welcome to take it as part of this intensive journey or simply as an experience in itself.
During the course you will:
- discover your innate ecstatic connection to the spirit of the dance
- work with the four chambers of the heart to develop your connection to your emotional body
- learn how to connect with your power animals and spirit allies, calling on them to create a sacred circle of protection and support
- use poetry writing and meditation as methods of compassionate self-enquiry to gain greater awareness of your mind and inner process
- use repetition – of movement, of beat – to explore and gain awareness of the repeating patterns of your behaviour and find the medicine within these patterns
- explore your own ‘sound’ through movement and improvisation to discover your own unique medicine songs
- through embodied trance, contact meta-levels of awareness from where you can receive guidance about your purpose and the broader significance of your life
- allow yourself to be held and transformed in the crucible of the ceremonial space.
The Journey of Empowerment is for anyone who feels ready to commit themselves to developing their potential through movement and voice work. It is for those who wish to learn to use Movement Medicine as a transformative and empowering practice to bring the life of the dance into the dance of life. It is important that you have enough inner and outer support to allow the inevitable changes that will be catalysed by our work to be a positive force in your life. Some Movement Medicine practice is recommended as preparation. All ages and abilities can benefit from this course.
Prerequisites: 25 hours of Movement Medicine or related practice.
Forthcoming dates: July 2017 – Schloss Glarisegg, Switzerland
You can read Caroline Carey faculty member’s article related to this Journey below:
Journey of Empowerment – January 2016
Passing on the Baton of Journey of Empowerment – November 2015
Receiving the Baton of Journey of Empowerment – November 2015
Change is in the Air! – Feb 15
Embodiment – Feb 15
Shopping Dance – Dec 14
The Power of Community – Oct 13
The Dawn of a New Era and the Nature of Empowerment – Jan 13
Requiem for Journey of Empowerment 2012 – Jan 13
Empowerment, Responsibility & Living The Dream – Nov 12
What does YOUR creativity have to do with the future of our species? – Apr 2012
JoE 2011 – Dec 2011
How the smiley found me – March 2011
Requiem for Journey of Empowerment 2010 – Jan 2011
Letter to Susannah – July 2010
Empowerment – Jan 2010
As Day Follows Night- Jan 2010
Further Steps on Our Journey- Oct 2009
Empowerment – Feb 2009 Journey of Empowerment – July 2009
Fundamentals – Dec 2008
In Praise of Adult Learning- Jan 2008
Fundamentals of Movement Medicine – Nov 2007
Fundamentals of Movement Medicine – Oct 2007